Her Awesomeness

Her Awesomeness
Practicing the royal wave/smile

Tuesday 27 September 2011

The statute of limitations has expired on most of childhood trauma

The essence of Dr Gordon Livingston's premise in this instance is that for our lives to have any meaning then we should embrace it in its entirety in the present. That change is an inevitability, but in order to move forward we must be accepting of change and what it entails.  For some childhood was idyllic, for others though it was peppered by trauma. All of which would have some bearing on the adults we would eventually become. To remain trapped in the past though would be giving power to the catalyst or person/s  responsible for the trauma. However awful the trauma, releasing it to the past is when we truly move forward.  And by this I don't mean burying the pain or feelings associated with the trauma, I mean truly letting it go. This is something that's taken me a long time to master, and even now I sometimes come short. But my living my life in the present is more important to me than clinging on to something from old that may have affected my psyche negatively. I have learned that letting go of an experience, emotion or event that did not add value to my life and relegating it to the past where it belongs, is liberating and empowering in the extreme. And that feeling sure as hell supersedes any childhood trauma. That is what I prefer to subscribe to.

No comments:

Post a Comment