Her Awesomeness

Her Awesomeness
Practicing the royal wave/smile

Thursday 20 October 2011

Ely nose best...


I've been taught to handle rejection by using my Catholic teachings to great effect and 'turn the other cheek' or to practice resilience (probably has something to do with my Catholic upbringing as well, God forbid) and am expected to just muster through whatever crap gets thrown my way. Then to add insult to injury, all the cliched mutterings usually follow these rejections. Mutterings by people whom I love dearly and who mean well. But I'll be damned if the continuous, chipping away at the soul kind of rejections will have me accepting, 'everything happens for a reason'; 'every cloud has a silver lining'; 'it was not meant to be'; 'He only gives you as much as you can bear'...sound familiar? Come on, who the hell came up with all this bullshit to start off with.  Someone who perhaps had been hammered to the pavement so many times that his senses were pulverised beyond reason?!

Yes, I'm the glass-half-full kinda girl. But I'm also the girl who feels intense hurt at the hands of thoughtless people who eschew rejections with such unbelievable blase at my attempts to secure employment in their supposed concerns of good repute. The most insulting is what I refer to as the 'standard rejection letter'. I did a stint as an HR assistant once.  Then I was that person sending out those stupid letters with very little thought to what it must do to the recipient. Now that I am the recipient, the "We regret to inform you that your application has been unsuccessful. We wish you every success with your future endeavours." just doesn't cut it.  The worst of it all is that this usually follows three to four rounds of interviews at the given organisation. Why do this? Why set people up for a fall and fill them with hope and expectation? Why? There has to be a better way to do this!

This is just downright cruel. Oh wait, another response to the latest round of interviews for that position that I am told I am so right for. "Dear Charmaine, thank you for taking the time to meet with us. We regret to inform you however that your application has not been..." Noooooooo, when does this nightmare stop!!!

But wait, I'm supposed to have developed into the proverbial ely right? Does the memory bit also apply? You know...'an elephant never forgets'. When these tables turn - what, I'm just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment