Her Awesomeness

Her Awesomeness
Practicing the royal wave/smile

Friday 22 July 2011

How hard is it to follow instructions?

Easy you might think. But, if you anything like me who has the attention span of a gnat, then the basic concept of following instructions is anything but easy. My officially diagnosed ADHD may have some bearing here.  I really do have a problem with focusing my attention on any given thing for longer than a few seconds before my mind does its habitual orbit into cyberspace.  See, I'm already there - I rest my case completely.

I would be reading the first few words of an instruction and off I would go on a tangent with so much energy and vooma aimed at what I assume the task at hand should be. But boy, oh boy, do I get it wrong ever so often. So, short of popping a Ritalin pill a minute, I have come to train my overly active mind to still itself  for that fraction of a second, to breath deeply, to close my eyes and then open them slowly and then, only then take in the content before moving ahead. Works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment